POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Charicture animation demo (456k) : Re: Charicture animation demo (456k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Charicture animation demo (456k)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 15 Apr 2003 09:35:38
Message: <3E9C0A93.210DE4F2@onwijs.com>
Kitsune_e wrote:

> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >My code has two parts:
> >
> >1) an "object" which is a zillion blob components,  each component of which
> >has a  transform{headtrans}, transform{femurtrans}, etc. associated with it.
> >
> >2) a system where you can input things like splines for the clock/rotations
> >of head,  clock/positions of the wrists and feet (IK).
>
> Hello!
>
> Yes, the blobs and inverse kinimatics are impressive!  I am amazed by what
> has been accomplished so far with those techniques.  Unfortunatly blobs are
> slow and hard to model with when used in any large number.  And the IK that
> is being developed right now is only really usefull with blobs.  Otherwise
> you end up with odd mechanical looking joints.  Not very good for modelling
> organic things.  If someone could build an IK that worked with patches or
> meshes then it would be a different story, but this would be very
> difficult.
>
> I know that the Povray community will fight me tooth and nail on the subject
> of using an outside utility.  I also can understand why: SDL is so powerful
> and versatile that you can do just about anything with it!  It is a matter
> of pride to be able to sit down and create an entire scene with just code.
> Pride both in oneself, and in Povray.  SDL is what makes Povray different
> from other renderers.  But I am afraid that at least for the time being
> outside programmes are the only option for creating good character
> animations in any reasonable amount of time.
>
> In professional CG artest will use the best features from many different
> programs to create their worlds.  I (obviously) would advocate a similar
> tactic for Pov'ers.  Use the best you have availible, and show what Povray
> can really do!
>
> Bukimi, Kitsune_e: "A community collage student with delusions of becoming a
> a proffessional artist/animator..."

You are of course absolutely right that for professional purposes using
only POV isn't the most efficient option. The process you describe
doesn't seem like a breeze either (handtweaking every frame?). You may
wonder if, in that perspective, POV is a good choice per se. On the
other hand, it is also a matter of what type of characters you want to
animate, personal skills and what you feel most at ease with. Obviously
you are very good with modellers. I have tried a couple of them and
never got any decent result. I never put real time into it either so
that isn't a fault in the modeller, it's in me.
Please don't think I'm just seeking points to disagree with you for
arguments sake. I just think this is an interesting topic to discuss.
I would very much like to see how continue with this animation and how
you overcome the problems you encounter. As Greg I have been making
character animations using blobs and such, resulting in some very simple
character animations and aimed at a cartoonish (non anime) style. A nice
example of pure-POV character animation is Rune's Al the Alien. I'd also
like to see what POV can do with outside modellers.

CheerS!

Remco