POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 15 Apr 2003 08:00:30
Message: <3E9BF7A4.1090804@alphalink.com.au>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:07:14 +1000
> Edward Coffey <eco### [at] alphalinkcomau> wrote:
>

>>Now my method: Same up to where the friend complains, then you remedy
>>the situation leaving assumed_gamma alone and changing display_gamma
>>from 1.8 to 2.2. This creates a brighter image and your friend can see
>>the wallpaper just fine.
>

>   Yes, but you can also set assumed_gamma to 1.8/2.2 to achieve the same
> effect without having to alter your povray.ini, if I read well the
> manual.

Starting from an assumed_gamma value of 1 and a display_gamma of 1.8 on
a system with gamma of 1.8 you could change assumed_gamma to 1.8/2.2
(approximately 0.82) to have the image display correctly on a gamma 2.2
machine if you were dead set against altering your display_gamma, but
why bother? The POV-Ray gamma features allow you to do it all easily -
set assumed_gamma to 1, set display_gamma to whatever your system's
gamma is. When rendering for display on a different system, set
display_gamma to whatever that system's gamma is, then set it back again
when the render is finished. What could be simpler?