POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Gena Obukhov
Date: 14 Apr 2003 03:12:05
Message: <3E9A5D93.B10D1E84@mail.com>
Will W wrote:

> supposed to even things up. I *think* that means that assumed_gamma 1 will
> be right for anybody who has adjusted their monitor as suggested in the POV
> docs-- http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/128/ -- section 5.2.2.2.2.2

You are talking about  Display_gamma which works together with
assumed_gamma. That gamma stuff was always a 'terra incognita'
for me :)

I think the main confusing definition in assuming_gamma is that
it 'resolves the problem with brightness of images on different
platforms'. But it's actually not true unless you use format containning
gamma info (e.g. PNG). If you use JPG it will be normal on PC but still
bright on Macintosh. So IMHO for viewing final image in non-gamma format
it doesn't help.
It helps when you render image on different platforms. In this case you
can set assumed_gamma=1 and set different Display_Gamma on different
platforms, for example 2.2 on PC and 1.8 on Macintosh. In this case POV-Ray
will create image based on your Display_Gamma settings. So actual value
which you have to play with is Display_Gamma not assumed_gamma which
should be usually equal 1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Gena.