POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9
From: Ken
Date: 13 Apr 2003 12:40:38
Message: <3E999309.ACF81D95@pacbell.net>
Gena Obukhov wrote:

> Could you please describe the process? I have been always thinking
> about something like that for faces/figures/sculptures. Is it completely manual
> process?

Yes, it is a manual process and depending on what the base image looks like
can be rather labor intensive. When I tried it a few years ago I started with
a color image of the object I wanted to recreate, converted it to greyscale
and then imported it into the HF program Leveller. Inside Leveller you can
do quite a bit to raise and lower the repective areas that may need extra
attention with a wide variety of tools. After exporting to POV-Ray's 16 bit
HF image format you can then apply the original color image to the HF to give
it that added sense of reality. Leveller now supports export to .OBJ so
UV mapping should also now be possible.

You can see my attempt (about 4 years ago) at HF sculpture on the testimonial
page at the Leveller site -

http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/user_ex/index.htm

--
Ken Tyler