POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : 32000 radio samples (there we go again) : Re: 32000 radio samples (there we go again) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:43:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 32000 radio samples (there we go again)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Apr 2003 08:01:26
Message: <3E955D15.64F8C353@gmx.de>
Apache wrote:

> The method is far from perfect, but here is the c code I wrote. I have been
> thinking of a better way, because there there are some faint plateaus in the
> distribution and we don't want that. I guess some smart jittering will get
> rid of the plateaus. The algorithm is VERY SLOW, so I'm afraid that coding
> it in pov SDL is completely useless!

All right, i have done some tests, the regularity does not seem to be much
of a problem, especially if you use a subset of a generated distribution.
But the distribution is strongly anisotropic at the lower parts of the
hemisphere.  This has been mentioned in previous discussion on this
matter, it is a problem difficult to avoid if you generate the
distribution in 2d and project it on a sphere.

Thanks for sharing the code anyway.

Christoph