POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio. Initial version. : Re: Capriccio. No. 6 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio. No. 6
From: Gena
Date: 2 Apr 2003 13:48:06
Message: <3E8B305D.6124E3BF@mail.com>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" wrote:

> If you compare the original image with the
> one posted, you'll notice that the foreground
> buildings are too far away from the St. Paul's.
>
> Additionally, I think the sun's position in the
> image isn't correct. If you look at the front
> of St. Paul's in the original, you'll notice its
> mostly in shadows.

Those changes would be a good contribution from you :)

> Aside of that, I don't know where I could
> contribute to this...

There are still many places which need to be done and
which are waiting for volunteers:

- Sky/clouds. It would be good to have several variants
  implemented with different techniques. So that we could
  compare and select which one fits better. I mean such
  techniques as high resolution image map on plane or big
  sphere, stack of planes, media or anything else.

- Buildings. It's not necessary to create the whole building.
  You could just model that clock on the wall of the cathedral.
  Or make window tents for some buildings (using sPatch,
  Hamapatch or JPatch) with uv-mapped textures. If you
  have painting skills you can paint those houses which are not
  painted yet. Also there is ornament on the facade of the
  cathedral we could mimic it with height-field.

- People. It's always the challenge to make a human figure.
  It looks like we cannot use Poser objects because they are not
  free. That's why I see only the following alternatives - either
  use some freeware models (if any) or make own objects (using
  above-mentioned patch modellers) or prepare some partly
  transparent image maps (this technique is widely used in 3D
  architecture projects).

- Stairway in the foreground and wooden posts are good
  candidates for height-field or isosurface.

- Boats/Sails. It could be modelled with above-mentioned patch
  modellers or Wings3D. Sails could have uv-mapped textures.

- We can also add some POV-Ray touch to the final image -
  to place somewhere reflective ball on a checkered floor :)

You are welcome to work on any item  and use any technique :)

Gena.