POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : rendering the earth (71k+68k) : Re: rendering the earth (71k+68k) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering the earth (71k+68k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Apr 2003 16:45:00
Message: <3E8A085C.27A34F@gmx.de>
Slime wrote:

> Hmm, two things I noticed:
>
> 1. The ocean is bumpy. Did you mean to show the bumps underneath the ocean
> as though they're just blue terrain?
>
> 2. The atmosphere on the dark side of the earth is lit - scattering media
> would have helped here =)
>
> In fact, that whole part of the earth really should be 99% black.

To answer all the questions at once - i was not striving for realism
here.  The dark side does not necessarily has to be completely dark
(moonlight for example) but quite a bit darker would be more realistic of
course.  Scattering media would be overkill since you can simply use
different media for light and dark side.

The bumps in the ocean are ocean floor structures.  I also tried a
completely opaque water surface but i liked this version more.

Christoph