POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Old Technology...Radio Graves : Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old Technology...Radio Graves
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Mar 2003 08:07:34
Message: <3E82F7BF.443FB85A@gmx.de>
Renderdog wrote:

> To kick things off (see Old Technology...discussions), I'll start with the
> winning image...
>
> [...]

There is one interesting point about this image - the fact that none of
the comments mentions the lighting.  Don't get me wrong, i like this image
in a lot of aspects - the concept, the composition, good modelling work.
But the lighting is fairly inconsistent.  The shadows clearly indicate
full sunlight but without the shadows and the highlights it appears more
like a cloudy situation.

The most important point to consider when designing a sunlit scene is to
economically spread the limited dynamic range of the image file and
computer monitors.  If you load this image in HCR-Edit and apply the
exposure adjustments "exposure 2.5, gain 1.2" you get something much
nearer to a realistic sunlight appearance but of course this means an
immense loss of image quality which you can especially observe in the low
contrast parts like the shadows and the sky.

Christoph