POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : glass of wine, strange effects ! : Re: glass of wine, strange effects ! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: glass of wine, strange effects !
From: andrel
Date: 16 Feb 2003 10:21:03
Message: <3E4FACEB.70408@amc.uva.nl>
philippe Hay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to render a glass of wine, but I have some mesh problems.
>

> The picture vino.jpg shows the problem
> the different objects are exported from Pro Engineer in obj files,
> between 5000 and 6000 triangles.
>
> The result is very strange!
>
> I tried different settings, I also tried to let 0.1 mm space between
> wine and glass, but without sucess.

Even though you use smoothtriangles in the image the rays are computed
using the underlying triangles. This means that if the glass and wine
have same size of triangles, you are sure to have some overlap, if
they are rotationally not aligned. Indeed using some space between
the two object should get rid of it and you say it did not. (Athough
not knowing the scale of the triangles i do not know if .1 mm is enough)
Anyway, to test if it has anything to do with this kind of overlap, try
rotating the wine a bit and not the glass.

    Andrel