POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : [patch] Suggesting trivial patch (again) : Re: [patch] Let's get real again! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 14:39:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [patch] Let's get real again!
From: Edward Coffey
Date: 16 Feb 2003 07:25:09
Message: <3E4F8628.8080508@alphalink.com.au>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
 >>Thank you Edward! This is indeed the point. Thorsten, could you please
 >>approve, decline, or update this statement?
 >

 > The 11/2000 statement part about the development model is, and always
was,
 > for 4.0 only.
 >

 >>What I understand from your answers in this and similar threads:
 >>- You don't want public read access to the source-revision tree.
 >

 > Not for 3.5, yes.  This in line with what the team always said.  That
said,
 > in fact several (the whole TAG, the MegaPOV developers and a few other)
 > non-team members do have read access to the source code

Therein lay my confusion, I didn't realise that you had been referring
only to 3.5 development. Thanks for the clarification.

 >>- You don't want to discuss and make design decisions in a public forum.
 >

 > Honestly, yes, for any version.  But that is my personal opinion.
Design by
 > majority simply does not work.

Certainly not. But discussing and making design decisions in a public
forum does allow interested parties to make suggestions, none of which
you need to follow, but some of which may be useful. It also allows
people to better understand motivations, philosophy and overall
direction of the project, so they ask fewer dumb "Why don't you...?"
questions, they make fewer uninformed, poor quality suggestions, and
more high quality, useful ones. So, I hope 4.0 does take this path, but
I agree that design by majority is a bad idea.

 >>- You don't think that an open development model speeds up the
 >
 > development.
 >
 > From my experinece with the 3.1 patches and the work required to make
them
 > useable in 3.5, yes.  It is nothing against the patch authors personally,
 > but unfortunately the quality of many (not all!) patches was
significantly
 > lower than anybody in the team expected.  So what worries me is that
end the
 > end team mebers would have to go any fix all the code that is submitted
 > because nobody else does it... :-(

Nope, you just say "We'll look at that patch just as soon as your
implementation doesn't suck." With the possibility that they can have
their feature included if they clean it up a little, I suspect people
are likely to do so. You have the added benefit that because there are
more people around with a better understanding of the standards required
etc. they, rather than you, can help people clean up their patches.

 >>- You don't want to release development releases (snapshots).
 >

 > Not for 3.5, yes. This in line with what the team always said.
 >

 >>Either your personal opinion is in conflict with the
 >>majority of the POV-Team or the statement is obsolete and should be
 >
 > removed
 >
 >>from official public web pages.
 >

 > Neither what I say contradicts anything previously said. You are seeing
 > contradictions where there are none.

Quite so.