POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Dominos without MechSim (0/2) : Re: Dominos without MechSim (0/2) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 15:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dominos without MechSim (0/2)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Feb 2003 11:06:29
Message: <3E47CE04.F01C5C88@gmx.de>
Willem wrote:

> > I cannot even imagine how much it took to program this into
> > a raytracer (a great job !!),
> I mean this, a complement well deserved.

I read this but to be frank - how can you know it is a great job if you
did not actually use it.

> These should not be part of a renderer which should just render any
> datafile whe feed it.

I am not going to discuss the decision to integrate mechsim into POV-Ray.
If you don't understand the extremely obvious reasons for this you should
probably  either use POV-Ray more intensively or have a look at the
mechsim source.

I don't want to sound selfish so again, if you prefer to use a different
tool i am the last one preventing you from doing so but your arguments are
rather weak.

> Could we compare ? i.e. create a sample scene, a sort of a skyvase
> for mechsim and compare on speed an accuracy ? See where the limits
> are ?

That's a great idea - just take one of the sample scenes.  'bar.pov' and
'tshirt.pov' are good test cases for this.  The 'tutorial06.pov' scene
from the tutorial would be worth trying too.  Good luck!

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______