POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adding a keyword : Re: Adding a keyword Server Time
8 Jul 2024 20:07:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding a keyword
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Jan 2003 12:54:01
Message: <3E2EDAB8.97AD3BC8@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> > if you intend to introduce the feature i think you are planning to
> > introduce you should note that this is against the idea behind the concept
> > of different file types in POV-Ray
>
> Well... I don't remember where such concept were elaborated...

It was mentioned various times that the ini_option feature is deprecated
because it undermines the idea of keeping the scene file free of render
specific settings.  I also know this is not completely consequent since
there are other render specific settings like 'hf_gray_16'.

Supplying render settings in the scene file comments is a better solution
IMO.  This is already supported in the 3.5 windows version and it would be
quite possible to write a script to analyze the beginning of a scene file
and automatically call POV-Ray with the settings found there.  This could
even be extended to search for a #version statement and call the
appropriate (unofficial) version automatically.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______