POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Copyright infringements? : Re: Copyright infringements? Server Time
6 May 2024 11:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright infringements?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 20 Jan 2003 22:06:04
Message: <3E2CB92F.1000808@videotron.ca>
Program ended abnormally on 1/20/03 8:56 AM, Due to a catastrophic argus
error:

[some snippage]

> You are the one making the accusation, John.
> Make your case.
> Provide some facts.

Here are the facts:

1 - This is why the rules say:

[ quote from http://www.irtc.org/copy.html ]

    THE STANDARD RAY TRACING COMPETITION COPYRIGHT (oct97 version)

    Ownership
    ---------
          The uploaded files are the original work of the entrant, who
    retains all copyright and ownership rights.

         The entrant represents that, except for any public domain code,
    the entrant is the sole creator of, and owns all rights to, the
    submitted work.

[end quote]

Therefore, any entry that uses material whose copyright is not owned by
the creator of said entry does not conform to the rules of the IRTC and
can be dropped by the admins.

2 - The songs:

2harps.mpg:  "Prelude" by Clyde of Triumph. (c)1990.  Possibly in the
public domain.

amc.mpg:  "Magdalena" by A Perfect Circle.  (c)2001.  Definitely not in
the public domain.

ferrari.mpg:  Possibly "Opus Four 4", definitely by The Art of Noise.
(c)1990.  Also not in the public domain.

maal_asf.mpg:  The author makes absolutely no mention of the songs he
sampled, but I could recognize part of the "Mission: Impossible" theme
by U2.  Still not in the public domain.

etc...

Even if, in the animations mentioned above, the authors had received a
written permission from the legal owners of the music excerpts, it would
not make them the "legal owners" of those copyrights.  Therefore those
entries do not conform to the rules of the competition and the admins
should remove them.

> What have you done other than  point a finger, make an unfounded
> accusation and attempt to sway other's votes?

I do not think John was trying to sway the others' vote, but in the
past, giving low scores has always been the preferred method of
"punishing" rule violators.

[more snippage]

> How can you justify, John, your apparent unthinking, blind act
> of unfounded accusation of copyright violation done in a
> short shrift manner with only the goal of influencing other's votes?

Unfounded?????  The above examples were all taken from either the
rolling credits at the end of the animations, or the accompanying .txt
file, along with a little Googling.

/*   videotron.ca  */}camera{orthographic location<6,1.25,-6>look_at a }