POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Calling povray from outside software : Re: Calling povray from outside software Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:40:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling povray from outside software
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Jan 2003 09:46:38
Message: <3E1EDCCE.A2DF0611@gmx.de>
Shalom Naumann wrote:

> I am writing a program to help produce animations in povray. I would like to
> make it cross-platform (its in Java) but I'm not sure how to go about
> calling povray to test the scenes. Povray, however, has different command
> line options. For example, if you pass the /EDIT parameter to Povray for
> Windows, it will work, even if its already open. However, such an argument
> doesn't exist in any other operating systems. What's the recommended way of
> calling POV-Ray from an outside program?

POV-Ray has various command line options that work on all platforms (see
the documentation, section 5).  The windows version has some special
options like /EDIT and /RENDER since it contains an integrated editor.
You obviously should not use them for a platform independant program.

In any case you will have to allow the user to specify the POV-Ray
executable in the program configuration since the name and location will
differ between the platforms.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______