POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? : Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 23:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution?
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 10 Jan 2003 04:55:09
Message: <3E1E9B1E.CCBF5699@frege.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
> First of all there is no 'correct' distribution, you can only try to
> measure the quality of your sample set and compare it to others.  One
> measurement of quality would be to measure the distance of each point to
> its nearest neighbor - if this is very similar for all samples the
> distribution is quite good (a non uniform distribution is more difficult
> of course).

I do not think that would be a good measurement. In the following
example, the distance to the nearest neighbour is EQUAL for all points
(it is always 1 because the points are paired), while I expect you to
agree
that this is not a good distribution. (The example fills a rectangle,
not a
hemisphere, but that is irrelevant.)

   |      *                                 |
   |  **  * *                               |
   |        *  **                           |
   | **                                     |
   |     *   **                             |
   |     *                                  |
   | **     **                              |
   |    **                                  |
   |  *    **                               |
   |  *                                     |

Even if you ,,disallow'' the unevenness depicted here, you are bound
to get grid artefacts, which can be a real killer, if the sample grid
interacts with some object grid in the scene in a moir'e way.

Proposal for quality measurement: Density. Given a subset A of the
space you want to fill, the density is the quotient of the number of
samples inside A and the size (here: area) of A. The density should
not differ much for different A. As we intend a discrete distribution,
we have to restrict the quality measurement to A of a suitable minimum
size.

  Mark