POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? : Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:04:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: >1600 radiosity samples: right costheta distribution?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Jan 2003 05:04:34
Message: <3E16B1B2.B3B1CBB9@gmx.de>
Apache wrote:

> [...]
>
> And now my question:
> IS MY DISTRIBUTION CORRECT?
> I'm wondering this because the pink line (x*x+z*z) in part E of the picture
> isn't completely straight. Especially the second half at the upper right
> (sample 1000 and higher) is bent.

First of all there is no 'correct' distribution, you can only try to
measure the quality of your sample set and compare it to others.  One
measurement of quality would be to measure the distance of each point to
its nearest neighbor - if this is very similar for all samples the
distribution is quite good (a non uniform distribution is more difficult
of course).

The images in p.b.i don't tell much.  First of all the side views don't
hide the back side so you can't see how evenly the samples are
distributed.  The 'A' picture looks quite good but a view from above does
not tell that much.  Also i don't understand the diagrams at all, what do
they show?

BTW 'cos theta' distribution means the density of samples is proportional
to the angle to the normal vector.  This will result in a quite uniform
appearance when viewed from above.  Your 'C' sample does not look like
that.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______