POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available : Re: ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: MegaPOV 1.0 available
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Jan 2003 05:53:50
Message: <3E141A3D.FE36C24D@gmx.de>
Mael wrote:

> > That would use huge amounts of memory, and I'm not sure how useful it
> > would be. Using accumulation buffers would have big limitaitions, like
> > only blurring things on objects seen directly.
>
> Here is a simulated example (http://195.221.122.126/layers/layers.html) to see
> what happens
> i agree that
> - it's probably useless for scene with lots of reflection/refraction

It is surely more difficult but with an object 'ID' output like Chris Huff
suggested you could generate a mask to post process only certain objects
(like blurring the floor reflection in your case) Of course this would
miss the indirect appearances of that object in other reflections etc. but
this is only relevant in some situations and can often be neglected.

> - it allows to tweak, and *fake* stuff (and this can sound like heresy to
> ray-tracer integrists :)

It is out of question that post processing effects are not as good as
doing things internally but they have great speed advantages.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______