POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Your opinions, please : Your opinions, please Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Your opinions, please
From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 31 Dec 2002 06:28:09
Message: <3E117F72.3010508@ibras.dk>
I am trying to model a column of the Tuscan order after the drawings in
"The First Book of Andrea Palladio's Architecture". The base and top is
easy enough, being simple geometrical shapes, but the shaft of the
column is another matter. It should not be a simple cone, but have some
swelling along the way up, to counteract some optical effect.

The method Palladio uses to get the shape, is to make the lower third of
the shaft perpendicular, and then place "the edge of a thin rule" along
that line and bend it back to the "point of diminution" at the top of
the shaft.

Since I can't find anything in the PovRay docs about using "thin rulers"
to odel things, I have tried to fake..eh..approximate the shape with
some different CSG primitives. I have come up with three variations, but
I'm having problems deciding, which one looks best, so I thought I'd ask
your opinions.

In the attached image the two colums on the left is one solution
(designated A), the tow in the middle another (B), and the two on the
right a third (C). Now just tell me which version you think looks best,
most "classical", most pleasing to the eye, or what you want to call it.

TIA
/Ib

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: