POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Sim_POV: Hook Drop : Re: Sim_POV: Hook Drop Server Time
19 Aug 2024 17:41:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sim_POV: Hook Drop
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Dec 2002 12:29:43
Message: <3E020205.B00858D0@gmx.de>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> > I am having similar problems with cube collisions atm. I built a stack of
> > bricks with a slight gap between them all and then let things go. It crashes
> > as soon as the objects collide. If you have any joy in solving this problem
> > plz let me know.
>
> No, that's exactly the problem I'm having.... exactly the same kind of scene I tried
too. I
> haven't actually informed Christoph of this bug, but as it stands, i can't really
continue
> with my experiments, as they all involve block to block collisions.

I of course can't say for sure without testing the code myself but this
almost certainly isn't a bug.  Your simulation simply got instable.  Your
animation shows you are using very stiff connections and therefore you
need quite small time steps to successfully simulate the movement.  Try
doubling the number of steps and if the problem vanishes this was the
reason.

The next version will contain a test function which tries to detect
instability and issue an Error.  It seems to work fairly well but of
course there is no guarantee that it always works.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______