POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : just an annoying neewbie question : Re: just an annoying neewbie question Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:46:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: just an annoying neewbie question
From: Ken
Date: 18 Dec 2002 20:47:07
Message: <3E0125AF.B0325AA1@pacbell.net>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> I always found it a bit annoying that no one ever started a free GUI
> modeller project with the same open development as POVRay itself,

That's not entirely true. In fact there have been at least two 'attempts'
at open source modelling programs for POV-Ray that I am aware of but they
both failed for various reasons. POVLAB, which had a sizable user base at
one time, was released by it's author as open source over three years ago
yet no one has touched it since. Why? Don't know, but it seems it takes a
rare group of individuals to take on an open source project and provide the
long term dedication and resources necessary to keep it alive. The POV-Ray
developers deserve a lot of credit in that regard.

--
Ken Tyler