POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : reflection - refraction : Re: reflection - refraction Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflection - refraction
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 17 Dec 2002 18:13:11
Message: <3DFFAE81.20226B65@interlog.com>
"Ben T. Scheele" wrote:

>     That seems to be about right for a very large render with that high of a
> trace level.  Some of my scenes get into the billions for tests of boxes and
> bounds, such as my last post, which does use a lot of reflections and
> refractions.  For only a 768 square it took three hours, but that's probably
> due to the 9 photon emitting light sources.  What kind of lighting did you
> use in your scene?  I've never heard of that enormous of an image being
> rendered with povray.  I suppose somebody's probably tested the limits with
> a simple scene before, but with one such as yours, I don't know.  Would you
> please post the full image?  Resized and resampled of course.  I know we
> won't be able to see all the nifty little details that way, but hey, have
> mercy on us 56k'ers.   It's tough to tell from the current image what your
> scene is, but I can see a sky and a landscape in the a reflection on a
> corner of the abstract glassy object.  It's pretty cool.
>
> -Ben Scheele

Well .. the image is a tad large for a 56K modem :

$ ls -lap tet5_8192x6160.tga
-rw-r--r--   1 dclarke  other    151388178 Dec 17 12:09 tet5_8192x6160.tga

The png images are much smaller.  I'll see if I can post them to my website.

As for limits I will attempt a 16384x12320 image tonight!

Dennis Clarke

Here is a bit of the CPU histogram for the image ...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'glass_refract_cpu_5.png' (552 KB)

Preview of image 'glass_refract_cpu_5.png'
glass_refract_cpu_5.png