POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hmm coffee... : Re: hmm coffee... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 11:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hmm coffee...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Nov 2002 15:54:12
Message: <3DE68274.E7AA52AF@gmx.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> > Nice, but you should clean that coffee pot. ;-)
>
>   Never!  Only when a percolator gets that used it begins to make good
> coffe. Seriously!

All right, i don't drink coffee...

> > Concerning the lighting, i think when reflection is involved it is
> > usually a good idea to use Jaime's technique for the radiosity
> > calculation, i.e. take the radiosity data with dummy textures without
> > reflection and reuse it.  It might be necessary to do this
> > precalculation at a higher resolution but it usually leads to fast and
> > smooth results.
>
>   Hmmm... actually I always render the precalculation at half resolution
> but with higher settings than I will use with the real scene. I usually
> get ride of the artifacts raising the error_bound a bit on the final
> render.

The most important effect about raising the error_bound in comparison to
the precalculation is to avoid taking additional samples despite
'always_sample off'.  Otherwise a higher error_bound of course reduces
artefacts but also the details in the shadows.

The real criteria for the size of the precalculation render should be to
gather enough radiosity data to generate the wanted quality picture.  With
a low error_bound you will not be able to take enough samples since you
can't take more than one sample per pixel of course.  In other words you
will have to strongly increase error_bound for the final trace to avoid
too many samples to be taken during final trace and thereby generate a
picture with less accurate radiosity effects.

Christoph

Last updated 15 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______