POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Creases in the cloth (MPEG1) : Re: Creases in the cloth (MPEG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:28:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Creases in the cloth (MPEG1)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Nov 2002 03:20:01
Message: <3DD4AE30.410F54EA@gmx.de>

> One of the "innovations" in this model was that I allowed the nodes in the
> cloth to be attached to other nodes with variable strength.
>
> In this particular example each node is attached to its "horizontal" and
> "vertical" neighbor with a very strong force 1e5, that is, for example, if
> we have a mesh with points x(i,j) then x(i,j) will be attached to x(i-1,j),
> x(i+1,j), x(i,j-1), x(i,j+2). This is because cloths resist very much to
> stretching.
>
> They also resist (not so much) to shearing and bending, so that's why I also
> connected them diagonally, but in this way: x(i,j) is connected to
> x(i-2,j-2), x(i-2,j+2), x(i+2,j-2), x(i+2,j+2). The force associated to this
> connections was weaker.

Thanks, that makes it quite clear.  Sounds logical to use the 'second
order' diagonals to introduce both bending and shearing stiffness with
very few springs.  Sim-POV BTW allows to specifically weight the
individual types of connection with in the standard patch macros:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/simpov/docu02.html#MechSim_Generate_Patch

> affected to any force, I fix their positions arbitrarily. In this case I
> force them to be where I want, that's why we see the formation of the
> creases.

It looks very good.  Often such 'fixed movements' look somewhat artificial
but in this case not.

Christoph

Last updated 15 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______