POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 13 Nov 2002 10:13:35
Message: <3DD26C1D.FE14A00B@luxlab.com>
Glen Berry wrote:

> I think you might have made a strategic error in naming it a "film
> exposure simulation"

It's a simple exposure simulation derived from mathematics involved
in a chemical reaction. I may add another method derived from
photography.

> film simulation is not the only potential use for this sort of patch.

You are free to use it as you like.

> In my opinion, "human vision simulation" also needs something like this.

Good for that too to some extent. There is a link between these two but
I'm not trying to do human vision simulation, that would require way
too much work.

> As far as film simulation goes, are you also modeling the "toe" of the
> film response curve?

assumed_gamma can be abused to give this effect (just add a value to
your current assumed_gamma). I suppose there could also be a treshold
value.

> If anyone builds a windows binary of this patch, please let me know.
> I'd love to try this patch out, but don't have a compiler handy.

ABX may include it here:
http://www.abx.art.pl/pov/popov/

Kari Kivisalo