POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Oriental Tileworks - strange shadows (JPG 800x600, 53 KB) : Oriental Tileworks - strange shadows (JPG 800x600, 53 KB) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Oriental Tileworks - strange shadows (JPG 800x600, 53 KB)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 10 Nov 2002 08:10:06
Message: <3DCE68ED.AB09F33C@tiscalinet.de>
Hi Tracers!

There I'm again... in the meanwhile, I tried a different ornament
loosely gleaned from a Persian miniature, but when I rendered
a close-up view, I noticed a strange appearance of the superellipsoid
edges facing the light source. Firstly, I thought of
coincident surfaces (which in fact only could be true for the edge rows
of the total cube, as there are each rendered twice
because of somewhat inaccurate programming), but after an even closer
look (attached here) it became clear that it must be a
strange shadow anomaly.

The small superellipsoids use specular highlights and are also slightly
reflective; the shadow of each superellipsoid should be
solid, not only an outline... it appears almost as I had accidentally
produced some kind of caustics - but there is nothing
transparent!

See you in Khyberspace -
http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/khyberspace/index-e.html
Afghanistan Chronicle: http://home.arcor.de/yadgar/index-e.htm

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'oriental_cube_01_extreme_closeup.jpg' (53 KB)

Preview of image 'oriental_cube_01_extreme_closeup.jpg'
oriental_cube_01_extreme_closeup.jpg