POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Film exposure simulation patch : Re: Film exposure simulation patch Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Film exposure simulation patch
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 10 Nov 2002 04:06:15
Message: <3DCE2184.862B3F26@luxlab.com>
Daniel Matthews wrote:

> I call it contrast masking, or dynamic range compression.

Yes, I forgot to mention dynamic range compression :)

> The subject matter was shot in full sunlight and included white marble and
> black granite so you can imagine how massive the dynamic range was!

There is a company that has developed a CCD camera with automatic
dynamic range compression. It has an LCD element in front of the
CCD wich gets it's control voltage from the CCD. The more light
a pixel receives the darker the corresponding LCD pixel gets. They'd
love to use a scene like this for their demo.

> I think your patch will be very useful in some scenes.

I have studied transfer curves of Kodak films and some of the
slide films seem to match the simple exponential function.
I think this has wider use than just for the really hard cases.
Some people prefer to do all the tweaking within povray so I'll
add a gain keyword which will help to adjust scenes with lower
contrast ratios. assumed_gamma works as a contrast control when
combined with compression so that should cover the basics.

Of course it will be harder to develop scenes when adjusting
1 or 2 new variables so not many will try. It will most likely
not make an existing scene look better.

Kari Kivisalo