POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation : Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation Server Time
19 May 2024 07:54:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Nov 2002 05:42:47
Message: <3DC64F27.6092C7FF@gmx.de>
ABX wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:27:07 +0100, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
> wrote:
> > I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The 'BLOB' type occurs at quite a lot
> > of places
>
> Not so much. Only 4 files IIRC.

But a whole bunch of places in those files.  Just think about the awful
lot of work to regenerate those modifications in a future (3.50d) version
in case those files have been modified.

If it really works (i have not tested yet) the '#define BLOB POV_BLOB'
seems a better idea.

> BTW: I have not checked MinGW with Cygwin. I'm using it separated. I can't
> find any INT32 conflict there so perhaps it is becouse of CygWin ? Comparing
> compilation of POV3.5 with DJGPP and MinGW on the same machine DJGPP
> compilation process is twice faster (I use exactly the same settings becouse I
> use one shared makefile for them). It is probably becouse of extended headers
> with all those windows constants from w32api. I have not tested speed of
> exacutables but I have seen your results in general.

Faster compilation does not mean anything.  In fact i noticed it compiles
fairly slow too (more than 20 minutes for all files IIRC) and since DJGPP
produces a DOS executable it is really not the question if it is faster or
not in execution either.

> I have found one problem with pure MinGW. There is some problem with length of
> commandline. For example I have no problem with creating archive/library with
>   ar rcs libsrc $(LIST_OF_SRC_MEMBERS)
> when DJGPP is used. But it fails when pure (no cygwin) MinGW is used.
> [...]

The DJGPP ar is probably a DOS program while the MinGW version is a
windows executable.  This might make a difference.  No problems with
Cygwin (and bash) in that concern.

Christoph

Last updated 02 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______