POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Image creation cahllenge - skies : Re: Image creation cahllenge - skies (427KBU) Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image creation cahllenge - skies (427KBU)
From: Dearmad
Date: 3 Nov 2002 22:41:03
Message: <3DC5ED03.5090908@applesnake.net>
Ken wrote:

> Dearmad wrote:
>

>>guts of themath I wanted to use, then transferred them over to another renderer
>

> Polyray?

No actually, Hash AM.  POV has surpassed Polyray in what you can do with
textures (though it took a few years).  Also, I'm now dissatisfied with
Polyray's colors too.

POV is like my "free hand" procedural texture "sketch pad," where I can
more fully grasp what to manipulate in order to get the effect I want
quicker, then into AM I go (which has a POS interface for texture
design).  I find POV limitless for textures, but maybe that's because I
lack the imagination and/or math skills to even comprehend a tool with
more options.

I took it into Hash AM and simplified it a bit in order to be able to
animate it- although here POV kicks serious butt over AM- you can't get
at *all* of the math in AM (without headache) so animating a procedural
is not as powerful as it otherwise could be.

In fact if I could get better separation and sometimes saturation in my
POV colors I would have used them for the animated sky I need in this
case and just matted it in, but I just can't get it to fly.

-peter

--
Texturing Monk:
"Ballet pour ma fille."