POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Jinx! : Re: Jinx! Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:53:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jinx!
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Oct 2002 14:05:35
Message: <3DC17EFE.134AD00B@gmx.de>
Shay wrote:

> The trend is that Gilles has the desire and smarts to take full advantage of
> the lenient rules of the IRTC. I am not aware of another CG competition
> which allows the use of third party models and textures.

I disagree about the rules of the IRTC being strange in that concern.
Already the phrase 'third party models and textures' shows that
disallowing them would be much more artificial. 'third party' implies all
'second parts' things (i.e. things coming with the renderers standard
library) are allowed.  Now some renderers have a large library of meshes
and image maps included (although usually of quite limited quality) while
others have not.

> An image like Wet
> Bird is the product of likely 1,000+ artist hours when Gilles' time and the
> time of those who produced the car models, building photographs, poser maps,
> etc. is combined.

Concerning this specific image i don't think the car models add that much
to the artistic and technical value of the image.

And apart from that every voter is free to take the use of things not
created by the artist himself into account when voting.  I try to do so,
if the artist did not specify which things are self made i also tend to
lower the scores due to lack of this important information.  None the less
in most outstanding images the elements reused from elsewhere play a
limited role in the overall result and with some experience it's fairly
easy to see if a scene is only some ready-made elements thrown together or
shows artistic and technical ability.

Christoph

Last updated 28 Oct. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______