POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hullo - display_gamma : Re: Hullo - display_gamma Server Time
4 Sep 2024 16:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hullo - display_gamma
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 30 Oct 2002 04:34:39
Message: <3DBFA7D9.701@free.fr>
Paul Mc wrote:

> Hullo. My name is Paul and I'm a new user.
>
> I can't get my head around this display_gamma thing. Using the pic & stuff
> in the Help, I keep getting a match on 2.8 to 3.0 - that can't be right, can
> it?

Depend on your monitor and video card (some have correction for gamma,
which may worsen thing if applied in the wrong direction!).

My office monitor is far more than gamma 3 ! (in fact the red, green and
blue gamma are not identical for it, but I use the correction from the
video card, which allow to split the gamma setting, to get a single
value for povray.)

Best check so far I have found is to render the povray portfolio, on the
  stone1.inc third html page (3 of 14), you should look at T_Grnt15 and
T_Grnt17. If povray & your computer gamma are not correctly set, you
will only see black images. Whereas, once correctly tunned, T_Grnt15 is
pattern of dark black and lighter purplish strock of grey, and T_Grnt17
is a mix of dark yellow, green and blue (both skyblue and navyblue).