POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) : Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PartixGen - Inertia (MPG 278kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Oct 2002 15:21:27
Message: <3DBEEDC7.AC0B1A11@gmx.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> Haha! Its interesting how I replied a post and covered
> the technique you used, and you replied a post and covered
> the technique I used... Thats amusing! :-)
>
> And yes, the technique is similiar to Chris' Spray,
> but when implementing this with a box (instead of just
> one plane), it gets quiet difficult. [...]

I wonder if it's worth the efforts.  Of course it's very nice to be able
to calculate the state of the system at several arbitrary points of time
but for most purposes this is not necessary since you either calculate a
complete animation or you just want one final result.  And your method
can't calculate any more complicated influences like wind, friction etc.

BTW, you gain quite some speed advantage if you use a hardcoded system.
If you turn off collisions between masses in Sim-POV and use method 2
environment
collisions you can use quite large time steps without problems and will
have quite negligible simulation times with particle counts like in your
sample.

Christoph

Last updated 28 Oct. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______