POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : stupid bounding question : Re: stupid bounding question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 16:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stupid bounding question
From: Mark M  Wilson
Date: 27 Oct 2002 17:48:06
Message: <3DBC7C08.AD223E7C@att.net>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3DB881C1.14E3FDA5@att.net>, LibraryMan <mrm### [at] attnet>
> wrote:
>
> > Can a camera declaration have a bounded_by statement in it?
> > Duh... (kind of related to earlier posting called "something holding up
> > the works")
>
> No. What would it do? The camera isn't visible, nothing is ever tested
> against it, so bounding it would be rather useless.
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
> POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
> http://tag.povray.org/

Well, I had run some renderings which I thought were taking too long, and
the statistics from them indicated that an inordinately high percentage of
rays were being tested against objects that weren't even in the camera's
view.  One of the responses I got on the "something holding up the works"
thread was that the autobounding might not be what I needed to use for the
small test renderings on limited areas of my scene.  At least, that's what I
thought I understood from the response.

So what I'm 'after' is a way to confine the rays to a particular area of my
scene-- again, only temporarily, and for testing purposes.   I need to read
the docs about bounding a little more, it looks like...
--Mark ("Library Man")