POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : United POV-Ray? : Re: United POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: United POV-Ray?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 18 Oct 2002 13:34:28
Message: <3DB04713.3060802@starman.ee>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> If i may bring up some of my suggestions on that matter again.
>
> Before getting into action setting up a repository of patches it would IMO
> be good to develop some standards concerning the patches submitted to such
> a collection.
[Snip]

Valid points, but I guess, that it will be better to discuss them in
unofficial patches group, where such things should belong. I should've
started it there, not here, so I f-up this post to there.

> - a common documentation format.
> - rules for the source code (like marking all changes with preprocessor
> #ifdef's)
> - rules for modification of existing patches (bugfixes, improvements).
> Only by the original author or by everyone?
> - organizing frequent compiled versions for the most important platforms.
> Like Vahur pointed out these do not necessarily have to be made by the
> maintainers of the patch collection.

- Perhaps some coding guidelines? I know, that this opens can of worms
and  will be possible cause for endless discussions, but it would be
good to adopt some sensible coding standards. POV-Ray's code has evolved
long way and it could be seen from source code: different code layout,
different naming conventions used, some code uses tabs to ident code etc.