POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Proposal for 4.0 core control : Re: Proposal for 4.0 core control Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proposal for 4.0 core control
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Oct 2002 15:29:30
Message: <3DAC6C9A.AFBF4D0E@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You know, I have to explain something.  My post was just a test.  In fact
> what it describes already exists in POV-Ray 3.5 and is known under the name
> POVMS and the document itself is rather old.  I just made this post in order
> to get an idea what would happen should 4.0 design be discussed publicly at
> all.  What I said has absolutely *no* relation to any team plans regarding
> 4.0.

Well, that explains your quite strange answer to my question.

> I have to admit the results were rather surprising.  I had expected more
> controversy or someone noticing immediately that it already exists.  What
> happened is that there was little controversy (even when I started to make
> really ridiculous suggestions such as using Mozilla as GUI, but maybe nobody
> took that serious?) and nobody noticed that something like this already
> exists.  Even those who have played with the source code very long. [...]

I doubt there is much to conclude from this test.  First what it is about
is a part of POV-Ray not of much interest for someone starting to deal
with the POV-Ray source code.  The first time i stumbled across POVMS was
when i added some new element to the statistics and even that did not go
into depth.  And second you did not really start a discussion about
anything important.  As it seems you just described a few details about
something that already exists in POV-Ray.  Why should anyone have concerns
about that? ;-)

If you really want to find out whether public discussion of things could
be useful for 4.0 development there is no other way but to try it.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______