POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Function based distortions of non isosurfaces : Re: Function based distortions of non isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function based distortions of non isosurfaces
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 9 Oct 2002 10:07:58
Message: <3DA4383E.E24EED8A@gmx.de>
"Jeff M. Thomas" wrote:

> I decided to give the current IRTC round a miss (I'm not good with nature
> settings outside of Bryce) and play around with the POV-Ray code instead.
>
> My goal was to allow mathmatic surface distortions of non isosurface objects
> (aim low, I always say :). I ended up going the other way around, making an
> object function that takes any object and makes it look like it's defined
> mathematically for use in an isosurface, which you can then distort the
> usual way. An example is thus:
>
> #declare fn_my_box=
>     function{
>         object{
>             Povray_Logo
>         }
>     }
>
> The problem is, it's rather slow and I'd like some suggestions on how to
> optimize it.
>
> [...]

As Slime mentioned you should have a look at the IsoCSG library.  Your
method seems to use about the same method as the proximity pattern in
megapov and therefore probably will be quite slow.  You can try to
optimize things but no matter what you try the calculations will almost
certainly never be as fast as with the mathematically exact proximity
function (which of course only exists for very few objects).

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______