POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Function based distortions of non isosurfaces : Re: Function based distortions of non isosurfaces Server Time
28 Jul 2024 06:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function based distortions of non isosurfaces
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 9 Oct 2002 00:09:22
Message: <3DA3AB7B.4D52A40E@mail.com>
Jeff -

I really like the images on your site.  I've thought about programming
something like this for a while, and what I finally landed on was this :

It would be useful to find the intersection with the object in the
ordinary way and then trace backward (or forward) from the intersection
point until the ray hits the "closest isosurface".  I don't know if that
is what you've done here, but it looks like it is similar.

To implement this method, you could declare an isosurface function as an
extra, specialized kind of Texture in the OBJECT_FIELDS definition, and
you could just modify All_Object_Intersections to look at this field and
trace the ray forward or backward after calculating the ordinary
intersection.

Is any of this useful?  I'm not sure, cause I haven't tried to implement
any of it yet...

- Ben Birdsey