POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : first post - 1 attachment : Re: first post - 1 attachment Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first post - 1 attachment
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 4 Oct 2002 19:06:54
Message: <3D9E20DD.31EC9722@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
Very nice image.  Since you don't seem to by attempting to achieve
realism in the image, it's a bit hard to critique, so take my comments
with the appropriate grain of salt.

The grass seems to uniform.  There seem to be short blades which are all
about the same height and a few sparse blades which are much longer.
You may want to distribute the lengths more evenly.

Related to the above comment, the grass looks too well maintained.  The
large number of short blades combined with the lack of things such as
other species of plants (like crab grass) add to this.

The crosses don't look like wood.  This is both a texture and a geometry
problem.

The blob method for the church works well in some places and not so well
in others.  The main issue I have with it is that while the blobs do a
good job of making the overall church look ruined, the surface of the
blobs themselves look too smooth.  The placement of the blobs also makes
it look very much like the church has some sort of metal structure
holding the last bits together (which is an effect which I partially
like)

The texture of the church is good, but too uniform.  There are no signs
that some areas have weathered more/differently than others.

As you say, the texture on the mountain needs work.  You might want to
try fiddling with slope dependent textures.  There are also some dark
patches on it which I look odd.  Probably partially as a result of this,
the scale of the mountain seems off.  It looks like more of a very large
rock outcropping (100-200 ft tall) than an actual mountain.  If this
isn't the effect that you want, you'll probably want to change the
geometry of it quite a bit (foothills, etc.)

The clouds seem like they are decently high, but the church intersects
them.  This does add a neat effect though.

I'm not sure what the glowing spheres are supposed to be, but they might
benefit from some interesting geometry (so they look like more than
simple white spheres).

	~Kevin Wampler~