POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [WIP] spectacular landscape maybe? : Re: [WIP] spectacular landscape maybe? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 15:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [WIP] spectacular landscape maybe?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Sep 2002 04:52:53
Message: <3D96BF65.E61012E1@gmx.de>
Corey Woodworth wrote:

> [...]
>
> There are 2 HFs, (actually one with a copy in the background) and one plane
> of generic water. The HFs were made in World Machine. I know its a pretty
> basic image right now, but are there any comments on the actual terrain
> shape? I'd like to lock it down before I start texturing and lighting the
> scene. Are there any examples or ideas of good ways to texture the canyon?

The completely horizontal structures in the terrain seem somewhat
unrealistic to me.  They imply the material is very young but the
intensity and overall shape suggests it isn't.

Like all heightfield terrains this has serious problems with the structure
on steep slopes.  You will have a hard time compensating that with
textures.  In nature the steep parts are usually more structured than the
flat areas where loose material smooths the irregularities.

NTL this surely has potential for a good looking scene, my advise would be
to try making it *not* look like yet another Bryce/Terragen/... scene.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______