POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cove II Wip (49 Kb Attachment) : Re: Cove II Wip Server Time
14 Aug 2024 17:56:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cove II Wip
From: Frank 'Sputnik' Rothfuß
Date: 22 Sep 2002 21:10:27
Message: <3D8E6A03.FBBBC633@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de>
Hi Aaron,

your rocks are much better! But I can't see how large they are:

Are they small rocks whereon you can sit with feet in the water?
   Then they should be separate stones, not monolithic.

Or are they 2 m high (I think that would match the size of the
ripples on the water)?
   Then the camera should be on a small boat, of whitch I would
   like to see a little bit.

Or are they house-sized?
   The boat should be larger.

Or mountains, seen from an aeroplane?
   Then you should have waves of more scales: large, long parallel
   waves (perhaps add a scale <1, 1, 10> to your waves), small
   waves and tiny ripples. And vegetation on the mountains.

Or the Himalayas at the beach, seen from space?
   Then I expect snow, curved horizon, dark blue sky.

Perhaps your stones are too clean: no loose pieces of stone, no
vegetation, no snow, no path, no waterfall, no animals, no glaciers,
no vulcano eruption (under water?), no lava (vaporizing the water?).
I would like to see some elements that give me an indication of
scale.

Your focal blur is much too strong: if objects in a distance of 20 m
are sharp, then those at infinity also -- remember fixfocus-cameras.

The waterline is better than before, but looks somehow blurred -- I
can't recognize any details. Perhaps you add some splash, foam,
wetting of the rocks near the waterline, reflected waves?

The suggestion in this thread to add a nest seems promising to me
(if it's not a single-pixel-nest due to scale), but remember: birds
leave traces ... (guano mountains??) !

Ah, and the background: you surely plan to fill in a gradient from
blue to light blue, clouds, birds, grey-blue mountains far away,
more landscape behind (at least part of a tree)?
Or: black sky with stars, Saturn with its rings and a handfull of
its moons, galactic nebulae, UFOs splashing into the water?
Or: ...
... topic is 'spectacular landscapes'? Eeeh, ahem, well, ...
Or: clip away the sky -- only 'water at the rocks'?

Awaiting the next version

   Sputnik

e-mail: frATcomputermuseumDOTfh-kielDOTde