POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A thought for 4.0 : Re: A thought for 4.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A thought for 4.0
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 20 Sep 2002 04:29:29
Message: <3D8ADC78.2000505@free.fr>
David McCabe wrote:

> Excuse me. I did not in any way intend to sound rude, arrogent, or whatever.
> In fact, I think you've misinterpeted me altogether. Notice the last
> paragraph, in which I say, "maybe it's the stupidest thing ever. Anyhoo, I
> thought I'd mention it to you who know more than I do.".
>
> By 'real', what I meant was, well, standard, or fully able to do anything,
> almost general-purpose at least, as in "PostScript is unreal (you could
> write a program in it, but it would be hard)".

I do not want to use POV to read my DVD:
If it was possible to write a DVD-reader/player software in pov SDL, it
would be, IMO, a very bad thing!
I want POV to raytrace images!
Please, know and limit your goal for a language.
Performing account-balance or database access is IMO not the goal for POV.
Neither is performing telecommunication protocols (sending mail,
browsing websites) or even solving NP-complete problem (even if a
graphical display of the solution made with POV is usually a nice picture).
And I certainly do not want POV to be part of the realtime system in
charge of the control of a powerfull facility (nuclear plant, but also
hydroelectric, or what ever) [excepted if POV get the extra cycle of CPU
to retrace an image in background, instead of using the classical
looping idle-task]).