POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Profiling of optics.pov : Re: Profiling of optics.pov Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Profiling of optics.pov
From: William F  Pokorny
Date: 17 Sep 2002 12:19:00
Message: <3D8755F3.2D87E3E8@attglobal.net>
Thorsten,
I got around to trying this last night and after figuring out that we must catch
places in  PQDelMax and  gatherPhotons in addition to PQInsert I found it
cuts the run time for optics.pov almost exactly in half.

One very interesting thing to me I'll mention too. I started by wondering
what would happen just by making sqrt_dmax_s global. It turns out both
the gcc and vac compilers did really well and were able to optimize within
about 5% of the recoded version of photons.cpp!!!
Bill P.