POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Parsing-Intensive Furball : Re: Parsing-Intensive Furball Server Time
14 Aug 2024 20:21:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing-Intensive Furball
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Sep 2002 10:30:38
Message: <3D80A509.8CAD255A@gmx.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> [...]
>
> Before I do that, I want to see how I can combine the two methods
> (the dirty easy one I used before and the realistic one now) in order
> to speed parsing a little, and put the nodes somewhere near a position
> they would finally be if it weren't for obstacles...

If you don't want to create animations but just want the final result you
could try implementing a gradient descent method.  This means you don't
actually integrate the equations of movement but move the nodes according
to the gradient of the potential field of all (static) forces influencing
it.  This would avoid the possible instability and oscillation problems
but of course can lead to wrong results as well.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______