POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : old dog, new tricks.... : Re: old dog, new tricks.... Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: old dog, new tricks....
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 7 Sep 2002 09:45:27
Message: <3D7A02F4.3AA9EF45@gmx.de>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> Needed another render of the 3com network card I did ages ago, this time
> with focal blur, 2 area lights and a touch of rad. tweaked the scene
> slightly and altered a lot of the settings for 3.5 (old was done with MP)

Nice, but the same old network card?  When do you make a motherboard? ;-)

> damn thing ate up over 200MB of ram and took 5 hours to render, weird thing
> being the ram usage without rad, or without focal blur was only around 50MB,
> and the render time was typically under 15minutes for either. yet putting
> the 2 together and it nearly choked.

You should try 'always_sample off', you possibly need to take the pretrace
at a larger size (and save the radiosity data there) but it should avoid
the additional samples being taken because of the many focal blur rays.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______