POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Question concerning radiosity code : Related question concerning radiosity code Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:35:03 EDT (-0400)
  Related question concerning radiosity code
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 29 Aug 2002 09:31:27
Message: <3D6E24E4.D3D83C0E@reading.ac.uk>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I was studying the radiosity code and found the following in render.cpp,
> function 'Start_Tracing_Radiosity_Preview()', line 1223:

On a related theme, in the same function there is a block starting at
line 1179 which calculates 'gather_grey' from 'Radiosity_Gather_Total'
and 'Radiosity_Gather_Total_Count'.

Reading the comments with it:

    /*
     * This adjusts the overall brightness value so that the darkening
     * effect of the radiosity calculation is cancelled out.
     */

and:

    /* Ensure that the average ambient value returned by
compute_ambient() is about
     * the same as the average ambient value setting in the scene file
     */

and where the variables are initialised at the top of the function (line
966):

  /* Initialize the accumulators which will allow us to set average amb
Brightness */

I assume that this is concerned with the problem people are having with
the automatic radiosity brightness adjustment when using distributed
rendering of radiosity traces.

So my question is: Do we still need this automatic radiosity brightness
adjustment?

It was obviously set up for the old style of radiosity where the ambient
was scaled - which generally darkened the ambient values - and not the
new form which _adds_ light by diffuse interaction.

If someone can point out where the automatic radiosity brightness
adjustment is applied I'll do a compile to test the difference ...

Comments please ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.