POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: looking in : Re: looking in Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looking in
From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 26 Aug 2002 05:37:35
Message: <3D69F6C2.9080206@ibras.dk>
> Thanks for the suggestion, darkening the outside does seem to fit very well
> with the theme of the picture: I've given the light from the outside light a
> lot of fade so that it's presence doesn't give that bright flood-lit effect
> of the previous example.

I'm watching this on a cheap TFT-screen, so I could be wrong, but the
shadows still seems too bright. If you are using ambient, try turning it
down or off, so the shadows becomes almost black.

> Something about the window frame now looks a bit
> false now though but I can't place my finger on it so can't fix it!

As I see it, the window lacks a frame :-). It only has a sash. OK, I'm
not sure about the naming of the various parts, but usually a window has
  fixed part mounted on the wall (the frame?) and a moving part hinged
to the frame (the sash?) in which the glass pane is mounted. The frame
and sash could be about the same thickness (5-6 cm) but the parts, that
divide up the pane (muntins?) should only be about half that thickness.

Also the outside window sill should slope downwards, to avoid
accumulating rain water, that will rot the window frame.

/Ib
http://www.ibras.dk