POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Build optimisation flags? : Re: Build optimisation flags? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Build optimisation flags?
From: Rob Hoopman
Date: 22 Aug 2002 14:40:42
Message: <3D654C6B.9020906@tuna.nl>
Warp wrote:
> Rob Hoopman <rob### [at] tunanl> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know the optimisation settings/ other performance tweaks
>>used to compile the linux binary distributed from the pov site?
>

>   There was a thread about that issue, I think it was in this same group,
> and there were good compiler flag suggestions there. I don't remember
> the name of the thread, but you should browse previous threads here.

I already had a look around but haven't been able to find anything, but
I'll have a closer look.

>   Anyways, the usual gcc optimization flags (which are not platform-specific)
> used are something like "-O6 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer".
>   Besides these, you should use the optimization flags dependant on your
> system. IIRC these include several -m* flags, such as -mcpu=(your cpu type)
> and other similar ones.
>   "gcc -v --help |& less" should give you a full list of options.

Those are the obvious ones and the ones I used already, my gcc is at
2.95.3 is gcc 3+ used for the pov builds and could this result in a
significant speed gain?

I'm not talking about a small increase, for illlustration a simple scene
( FWIW: 4 panes of glass on a checkered floor using photons )

linux precompiled binary:
	2 secs parse 55 secs trace
native build:
	2 secs parse 201 secs trace

Something is _really_ strange here, this can't be only optimisation flags?

System Athlon TB 1Ghz, 512Mb CAS2.5 DDR SDRAM

Rob