POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Odd Focal Blur Effect (from p.g) : Re: Odd Focal Blur Effect (from p.g) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 00:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Odd Focal Blur Effect (from p.g)
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 22 Aug 2002 14:41:10
Message: <3D653018.7629021E@aol.com>
Slime wrote:

> No. The area in focus should be the space near the surface of a sphere
> around the camera, with a radius of the distance between the camera location
> and the focal point. That is, all points that have the same distance from
> the camera as the focal point does should be in focus.

Well, that makes sense then, and reinforces my original idea that the cause of
my particular odd blurring was that my look_at and my focal_point were two
different vectors. If they are the same, this imaginary "sphere" around the
camera will intersect at one point, i.e. where look_at/focal_point coincide. If
they are different, there should be an arc shaped ring between the f_p, and the
l_a, which is exactly what I experienced.