POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Bsmooth and 16-bit gray : Re: Bsmooth and 16-bit gray Server Time
18 May 2024 07:29:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bsmooth and 16-bit gray
From: Tom Stone
Date: 20 Aug 2002 15:59:02
Message: <3D629F5F.62C6C9B5@swipnet.se>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

Use 16 bit PNG images.  To gte a 16 bit PNG image it might be possible to

> use GraphicsConverter to convert the PGM or PSD files to PNG.  However, i am
> not sure GraphicsConverter supports 16 bit per color component image output
> in any format...

I've tried that, but unfortunately GraphicConverter doesn't support 16-bit
images. Would love to use 16-bit PNG files for heightfields, but so far I
haven't found any way to create them.

Although, I've finally found another way to create16-bit heightfields for POV:
1 - Open or paint an image in PhotoShop.
2 - Convert to 16-bit colors.
3 - Convert to Grayscale.
4 - Save as RAW (and make a note of the dimensions of the image)
5 - Open MacDEM ( from http://www.treeswallow.com/macdem )
6 - Import as RAW
7 - Export as Povray 16-bit TGA