POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : another lightblub question : Re: another lightblub question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: another lightblub question
From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 13 Aug 2002 14:23:36
Message: <3D594F13.2060707@earthlink.net>
Tom Melly wrote:

>The thing to understand is that when you scale an object, the only point of that
>object that will stay still is the point at <0,0,0> (if it has a point in that
>position) - all other points will move.

This happens because POV scales objects by multiplying all points in an
object by the specified scaling factor.  In the example Tom gave (which
I edited out), the sphere at 2*x will move to 4*x, as well as doubling
in size.  It will not move along any of the other axies, because
0*anything = 0.  This is the same reason that an object at the origin
will remain at the origin.