POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Spotlight confusion : Re: Spotlight confusion Server Time
4 Sep 2024 20:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlight confusion
From: Dawn McKnight
Date: 10 Aug 2002 14:26:56
Message: <3D555AEC.3010900@mac.com>
> Any light will light a surface most brightly when its
> direction is perpendicular to the surface, parallel to the surface
> normal. Your description makes it sound like the light is very nearly
> parallel to the surface, so shading will make it dimmer.

Okay; thanks.  I played around with it, and found a way to get the
effect I wanted, by faking it... putting an aparent light source (a
sphere with a high ambient, low diffuse finish), and then putting the
actual spotlight further out from wht I'm trying to illuminate.

It looks about right, and I feel less 'wrong' about doing it that way,
because I know that all of the spotlights on the Movie Enterprises were
faked with off-model pin sources.

So, yeah... thanks again, Christopher.